Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Rick Warren

I've been traveling, so forgive me for being a bit behind the ball on this (oh my many (2?) loyal readers), but the Warren thing really does bother me a lot. Obama's caught flack already for his choices of religious leaders, so I'd have expected him to be a little less tone-deaf on this particular item. Perhaps it's because I just watched Milk (GREAT movie), but it seems to me that any outrage over this from the LGBT community is perfectly reasonable and justified. I am pretty loyal to the Democratic Party, but I find it frustrating when its leaders act like they can take various minorities and suppressed groups (blacks, women, gays, etc.) for granted because they know that those groups can't really go elsewhere - the Republicans would be worse. I hope that Obama shows that this gesture does not mean any of what progressives are all worried it may mean, but even so - what I've read elsewhere is right. We should not give any semblance of credibility to people who express hateful views. Then again, Chris Matthews is still on the air, so what are you going to do?

No comments: