Saturday, July 4, 2009

I love America

I know this is more like a sixth grade essay topic than anything else, but here goes. I love America. I am the proof that those crazy Republicans during the 2004 campaign were wrong - liberals not only can be patriots, but often are. No, I'm not proud of everything my country has ever done. We've done unspeakable things. But I am proud, nonetheless, of our country's general principles of liberty, freedom, and especially the rule of law. Certainly, we have not always lived up to our own standards, and we are far from perfect. Today there is rampant sexism and racism in this country, not to mention xenophobia and occasional disregard (possibly even by Obama himself) of the human dignity of all people, especially non-citizens.

However this country provides incredible opportunities, and through more than two centuries, we've avoided dictatorship, martial law and theocracies. People are free here to practice whatever religion they want, or to refuse to practice it. We live at a higher standard of living than any other country I know of, and yet are capable of great generosity of purse and spirit, much of the time. We don't always live up to the ideals we're taught, and generally imbibe, as young schoolkids, but I do believe that our ideals are great, and that for the most part we try to. Regardless of party, most of us just want what's best for the country, and most of us have shown ourselves willing to try to make those things happen.

I'm proud of us, and I'm thankful today that Obama's our President and that Democrats are in control of Congress. However, I'm also grateful to the Republicans, even those I disagree with strongly, for their efforts to steer America towards a bright future. Happy Birthday, America!

No comments: