Friday, August 22, 2008

Obama/Biden 2008!

So it's Biden. Although I'm a bit disappointed that the campaign did not manage to keep a lid on things so that those of us who signed up for the alerts would actually find out first, at least it's not like they didn't try. The official announcement will still come that way, I believe, and you can't always control Secret Service leaks.

All things considered, I'm reasonably happy with this choice. It's been a long time since I gave up on my ideal candidates (Gore, Feingold), and I think this is the best of the options we'd been seeing. Biden is a bit of a loose cannon, but in a lot of ways that's a really good thing in a vice presidential candidate. He'll sound off about all the things wrong with McCain, and he'll do so in his engaging and charming way. He completely counterbalances the experience and foreign policy issues, and in fact probably beats McCain on foreign policy (well technically it's not like McCain really has a lot of foreign policy experience, but perceptions still matter). The worst the other side will be able to throw at him is probably the overblown, not entirely true, plagiarism story from 20 years ago (Keating Five, anyone?), the bankruptcy bill (which, ok, was horrible, but I imagine McCain voted for it as well), and some comments about Obama. Of course, once McCain picks Romney, I imagine we'll be able to find similar quotes. Plus, Biden's liberal. And he's great on women's issues (e.g. Violence Against Women Act). Good call, Obama.

No comments: